Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Carry Bay Reflection, oil on canvas, 9" x 12"

It's been a long winter of painting, working indoors from studies that were started outside last summer and fall. In the new work, I have been concentrating on techniques that will illuminate my paintings to try and capture the radiant light I find in the islands. I have been starting with transparent washes of bright color before painting in the final colors.

I've just returned from a field trip to Connecticut, and a visit to the Florence Griswold Museum in Old Lyme. I saw a wonderful exhibition of American Impressionists from the Lyme Art Colony. This museum is such a treasure, and well worth the trip. It was interesting to see work by so many women in the collection. The museum's website is www.FlorenceGriswoldMuseum.org, if you'd like to know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment